Every year the Fort Leonard Wood Region welcomes around 100,000 family members to the region. They travel here from all over to celebrate the accomplishments of their Soldiers in Training and enjoy the military graduation events. After weeks of separation and little communication, this is a sacred time for friends and family of these new Soldiers.
If your trip to the region is lengthy and you find yourself in the region for an extra day or two, we want to provide you with connections to great information about the area so you’re able to explore and enjoy your time at Fort Leonard Wood. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best blogs and blog posts about the Fort Leonard Wood Region and Route 66, as well as two bonus blog listings. Check them out and let us know what you think!
1. The new Show Me Fort Leonard Wood is an official blog from Fort Leonard Wood, but is written by a military spouse currently stationed at Fort Leonard Wood. You can learn more about the installation, what it's like to live there, and what you can expect as a Soldier in Training and as an SIT family.
2. Pulaski County Tourism Bureau offers a great blog that is updated regularly with upcoming events and fun facts about the area. This team is knowledgeable about the area and can provide you insight that will make your visit to the region easier and a lot more enjoyable!
3. For many families, finding a great place to stay during their SIT's military graduation is important. Check out the new Fort Wood Hotels blog to learn more about a few of the hotels and the amenities they offer around Fort Leonard Wood.
4. The Realty Executives blog provides insight into the house buying process. Whether you're coming to Fort Leonard Wood or leaving for another duty station, the topics they cover are helpful for many military families who intend to purchase a home.
5. The Midwest Wanderer gives you a taste of what it's like to travel all over the Midwest, but this blog has some great info and insight into fun things to see or do around Fort Leonard Wood. It's definitely worth checking out if you want to stay and extra day in the region.
6. While you're in the Fort Leonard Wood area, you must check out some of Missouri's iconic Route 66 roadside stops. This Route 66 blog post gives you great details on the top 10 stops and where to find them.
If you aren't ready to plan your Fort Leonard Wood trip quite yet and just want to learn more about what it means to be a military spouse or parent, we're recommending these two *BONUS* blogs!
The Military Wife and Mom blog is amazing! You can find a variety of topics on everything from military life to parenting on this blog. Additionally, Lauren is absolutely lovely and truly believes in creating a community where all military spouses feel embraced and accepted. Whether you're a brand new military spouse or on the "seasoned" side, you'll definitely want to check out this blog.
As the parent of a Soldier in Training or a new Soldier, you might feel disconnected to the military. AUSA's Family Readiness office seeks to be a great resource for military parents. Through membership you not only show your support for your child and the Army, but the organization is also a great resource for parents of service members.